Installation without sysinstall
Sergey Lukin
2015-01-10 16:12:26 UTC
I want to install FreeBSD on my old ThinkPad with 12Mb of RAM. I only have
Floppy drive, Compaq WL100 PCMCIA Wifi and 3COM LAN (3CRPAG175) card.

I tried installing 4.3 as it meets my hardware requirements but
unfortunately the sysinstall is freezing right when it starts. As far as I
understand it requires more RAM to operate so my questions is how can I
install FreeBSD 4.*/5.* without sysinstall?

Note that I'm not Unix guru but am very comfortable with Unix command line
and in somewhat comfortable with FreeBSD in general so will have no problem
making my way though CLI only if I had helpful directions.

I'd highly appreciate any help.

Thank you
Sergey
Sergey Lukin
2015-01-10 18:53:55 UTC
Just an update to my previous email. Turns out, sysinstall doesn't freeze,
it just didn't configure the keyboard layout properly. In result, for
instance, F1 press performs as if "E" keystroke was pressed and F2 as if
"C" was pressed. I guess I should choose to "configure kernel via CLI"
option before proceeding to the sysinstall and configure keyboard layout
there. Is my guess correct? Is there any advice you could provide me with
while I'm hacking my way alone?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Sergey

Sergey
John Baldwin
2015-01-12 16:08:55 UTC
Post by Sergey Lukin
Hi,
Just an update to my previous email. Turns out, sysinstall doesn't freeze,
it just didn't configure the keyboard layout properly. In result, for
instance, F1 press performs as if "E" keystroke was pressed and F2 as if
"C" was pressed. I guess I should choose to "configure kernel via CLI"
option before proceeding to the sysinstall and configure keyboard layout
there. Is my guess correct? Is there any advice you could provide me with
while I'm hacking my way alone?
Any advice is appreciated.
Perhaps try the latest 4.x release. The kernel config thing won't let
you set an alternate keymap, but at some point sysinstall grew an
initial dialog box to set the keymap. That might have made it into the
last few 4.x releases (it certainly wasn't in 4.3).
Post by Sergey Lukin
Thanks
Sergey